Thursday, January 28, 2010

Writing and Saftey Training from my favorite TV show

I am very much an all or nothing person. It is a weakness I have, I admit it. When I sit down to write I ignore everything for the whole day and then I keep Matt up with all the click click of my keyboard. It getting to the point that I have to say ENOUGH! and spend time cleaning and giving the kids and Matt attention. I have decided to find a happy medium.
I have been reading Steven Kings book on writing. (I know, Steven King right? I can't even watch one of those movies let alone read his books but the man can write a good story.) I have really liked it. Except for the language. He writes 2000 words a day as a goal but suggests 1000 to start with. That was too easy so I have been doing 2000. It was pretty easy once I got in the Zone. There is also a bunch of technical stuff about being careful of passive writing etc. that I have been working on as well.
Annette, I have been thinking about my scenes. I find that I have been doing that instinctively but it is awesome to use the info you gave us on Saturday. If I don't like a scene or it doesn't seem to flow I think What is the scene question?... What is this scene accomplishing? So Thank you.
One problem I did notice was that after being at the computer for a few hours my wrists killed. I told the kids on the way home from school that my eyes hurt and I was having a hard time keeping them open so I was going to lay down for a minute when we got home. They made a very astute observation. Emma said "Then why are you driving." "Because no one else can" I answered. So for every ones safety I am going to manage my computer time.
I watched an episode of the Office last night where they were going over safety procedures for computers. Taking a 10 minute break every hour was recommended. Eureka! Toby is right. So My housework will get done 10 minutes at a time.
Oh if anyone from my class is reading this. Ebay has some good deals on those Alphasmarts. I am going to ask for one for my birthday. Hint, hint Matt.

No comments: